New applications don't receive the focus when there is another window on the desktop, particularly when the newly launched application is being launched by the other application on the desktop. To reproduce:
I use "Sloppy" focus policy.
- Open Nautilus
- Navigate to a folder with a video
- Open video by double-clicking ( which for me opens with totem )
- Hit 'F', which should make totem go into full-screen mode
Results: Instead of totem going full-screen, the 'F' keystroke goes through to Nautilus, which starts filtering on files ( looks for files with 'F' in them ).
Hitting ALT-TAB or moving the mouse *out* of the totem window and back in gives Nautilus the focus properly.
- Launch Remmina ( an RDP / VNC client )
- Double-click on a saved connection ( for me, a Linux RDP server )
- Start typing credentials
Results: As in the above example, Remmina doesn't receive the focus or respond to key strokes until I've hit ALT-TAB or done a mouse-out, mouse-in sequence