It's been exactly one year since the last major release of Enlightenment. Coincidentally, today is the day of the next major release of Enlightenment: DR 0.18.
This release REQUIRES the EFL/Elementary releases which went out earlier today.
The NEWS file lists 242 individual changes--far too many for a release announcement, and it's likely that some changes didn't make it into the file for one reason or another. So what to write about for such a momentous release?
Firstly, let's address all those who helped with the development process. To the developers who pitched in and fixed or added things, well done and and a sincere thanks. To users who filed bugs helped track down issues, a frustrated thank you. To the few users who joined the channel, trolled around for a bit, then stormed out, a generous chuckle.
No release announcement is complete without a taste of what's different, so here's what I consider the big changes and features:
- Compositing merged into core
- No longer (as) optional
- No longer (as) buggy
- Wayland client support added
- Teamwork module added
- Fixed at least 10 crashes
- User experience while crashing improved; some users have reported over a 200% improvement here
- New modules for improving desktop integration:
- music-control - Control your music!
- bluez4 - Control your bluetooth!
- appmenu - Control your DBus application menus!
- conf_comp - Control your compositor settings!
- Improved systemd integration
- Internal theme merged into Elementary
- Theme migration guide for themers looking to update their E17 themes to work with E18
- RandR and binding config domains have been split into separate files to make copying and updating easier
- MANY filemanager improvements
- udisks2 support
- Directory listing is now more accurate
- Seriously, too many improvements to name
If you're still reading at this point, stop and click one of the download links.