This ticket is about possible changes/solutions we could take to make communication and project management better.
There is/was discussion on irc/mailing list and I am trying to summarize it.
Please discuss any points you'd like.
There was some ideas that reached a consensus on irc:
1) When you have a proposal for efl, open a task like this one.
2) Then send an email to the mailing list to notice people about your proposal and possibly subscribe to it if they are interested. <- this step should be automatically done if possible.
3) Discuss on phab.
4) When a decision is reached and the task is closed, a *conclusion* mail is sent to the list (also automatically if possible)
The mails to the mailing lists are for reaching the most people possible. Something more difficult if it is just created on phab.
The reasons to have the discussion on phab is:
- all decisions discussions in one place instead of ml/irc/phab
- we can see the status of a discussion (resolved, wontfix etc)
- decisions can be referenced with a ticket (no more "there was no discussion about this", "wait let me find the ml thread about this")
One problem of phab is it doesn't have threaded discussions. https://secure.phabricator.com/T11451
The mailing list would still be used for everything else.
It was agreed to have an project roadmap : please check the project roadmap task here : T6768.
If you think we should have a release roadmap please comment.
**Getting something in the release that was not planned in the release roadmap**
This section is a little bit sensitive I think, so if something is wrong please tell me.
If you want to put something that was not planned in the current release, but you must discuss it first.
Open a task and if it gets thumps up by other developers, it will enter the release roadmap.
**On checking commits before they get merged**
There is not that much build break that we need to block commits.
Even if a build breaks, someone with the hw/platform will have to check it anyway.
**On merging #e and #edevelop, or get more developers to speak in #e**
I don't think this can be done for the moment so I will consider this discussion over for now. (revive it you can)
**In discussion/ more ideas**
- Have irc meetings monthly, bi weekly etc. because of timezones have 2 schedules.
- Have a developers list on the site (I think nobody opposes this so we could open a ticket about it)
- We could encourage review if a developer wants to: developers with commit access could ask for a review even if they can commit direclty.
- Jenkins build status should be visible easily, on the site. there is an e-bork list but archives are not viewable right? It was noisy to send to the edevel list but I think it should still send a message to the edevel-list if a platform is not fixed after a fixed delay(1~3days?). Also jenkins bot was kicked out of #edevelop, should it be restored? and make it less verbose?
- Open a forum (discourse? not discord) for users, themers, developers.
- When you break/change **beta** api, add a tag to your commit like @api_break (or @beta_break?). So people using the beta apis can see/search the changes and update their application. Raster seems to agree to this, so I will put it in the "has been decided" items if no one disagree.
If you think I should open a task for something specific in this list, please tell me.
If something is wrong, tell me and I will edit.