A good way to approach writing install documentation that requires dependencies coming from the distro's own repos is to always use a virgin install of the distro in question. Like this, you won't miss a package you may already have installed inadvertently with some other package.
You could proceed as follows:
- Install a virtual machine manager of choice (I use the community version of VirtualBox, but pick your poison).
- Install the distro you're going to cover. Make sure you accept only defaults and avoid things like updates and packages from third parties.
- Use your virtual machine manager's Snapshot tool to take a snapshot post-OS installation but before you attempt to make any changes. Name the snapshot 'Fresh' or similar.
- Begin the process you are documenting.
- To restore to the original state, use the Snapshot tool to revert to the 'Fresh' snapshot.
- Rinse and repeat.