Release is planned on May 19th 2014:
We aim for a 12 weeks release cycle which is a little under three months. The schedule is divided into 4 distinct parts: a 4 weeks development period which allows for features and fixes to get commit followed by a 1 week stabilization period which allows only fixes to be committed into the master branch. We then repeat the 4 weeks development period followed by a 3 weeks stabilization period to complete our schedule.
2014-02-25 EFL release 1.9 / Merge window for 1.10 opens
2014-03-20 Notice about soon ending first merge window
2014-03-24 First merge window is over.
* One week stabilization phase starts
2014-03-31 Second merge window opens
2014-04-24 Notice about soon ending second merge window
2014-04-28 Second merge window is over.
* Only bug fixes from this point
* Alpha release tarball
* Three weeks stabilization phase starts
2014-05-05 Beta1 release tarball
* Only critical fixes from this point
2014-05-12 Beta2 release tarball
2014-05-19 Beta3 release tarball
2014-05-26 EFL 1.10 is Out
|Mar 24 2014, 4:00 AM|
|Mar 31 2014, 3:00 AM|
|Apr 28 2014, 3:00 AM|
|May 26 2014, 3:00 AM|
To ease the generating of the NEWS files we have changed the commits message policy slightly.
Please make yourself comfortable with it at: https://phab.enlightenment.org/w/git_practices/#commit-message
With this release we will also change the way we handle our NEWS and ChangeLog files.
We see the value they provide. Giving users and packagers an overview of what happened in this release. On the other hand they cause us major pain with merge conflicts when working in branches or backporting. It also results in quite an overhead to update them all the time. We are going to try get you this information somehow different this cycle.
Please don't update NEWS or ChangeLog. The NEWS file will be generated befopre the final release and instead of the ChangeLog we now recommend the normal git log for details.
For bugfixes always put the phab bug number into the commit message. For bigger features don't spare characters on the commit message to descriptive what it aims for and what it will provide to us. I will read through the commit log at the end of each merge window and try to summarise whats in there on our release announcement page which will be the base for the release announcement mails, etc. Please help me with that by having good commit messages or filling in sections about your changes.
If you want to provide a longer description of the new feature you added please go to https://phab.enlightenment.org/w/efl_and_elementary_1_10_release_announcement/ and add your text there and I will try to integrate it into the final announcement.
- Work on a bigger feature in a branch and once its ready bring it over in one go to master in one of the merge windows.
- For bigger features please have some description for me to put into the release notes. If you also want to provide screenshots or a video be my guest.
- Have descriptive and in general good commit messages. I will read through them for the release notes and yell at you if they are bad.
- If you fix a bug from phab always put in the phab bug number
- If you have something big and disruptive please bring it in at the first merge window to allow enough time for testing and fixing
- We are also doing 1.9.x point releases during the 1.10 development cycle. Please keep in mind to backport them to the 1.9 stable branch. This is way esier for efl now as we had the first release with the merged tree now.