Release is planned for August 3rd 2015:
We aim for a 3 months release cycle (with a release on the first Monday in February, May, August and November):
- 2 months development period which allows for features and fixes to get committed into the master branch
- 1 month stabilization period which allows only fixes to be committed into the master branch
to complete our schedule.
2015-05-05 Merge window for 1.15 opens
2015-06-29 Notice about soon ending merge window
2015-07-06 Merge window is over
- Only bug fixes from this point
- Alpha release tarball
- One month stabilization phase starts
2015-07-13 Beta1 release tarball
- Only critical fixes from this point
2015-07-20 Beta2 release tarball
2015-07-27 Beta3 release tarball
2015-08-03 EFL 1.15 is Out
To ease the generating of the NEWS files we have changed the commits message policy slightly.
Please make yourself comfortable with it at: https://phab.enlightenment.org/w/git_practices/#commit-message
With this release we will also change the way we handle our NEWS and ChangeLog files.
We see the value they provide. Giving users and packagers an overview of what happened in this release. On the other hand they cause us major pain with merge conflicts when working in branches or backporting. It also results in quite an overhead to update them all the time. We are going to try get you this information somehow different this cycle.
Please don't update NEWS or ChangeLog. The NEWS file will be generated before the final release and instead of the ChangeLog we now recommend the normal git log for details.
For bugfixes always put the phab bug number into the commit message. For bigger features don't spare characters on the commit message to descriptive what it aims for and what it will provide to us. I will read through the commit log at the end of each merge window and try to summarize whats in there on our release announcement page which will be the base for the release announcement mails, etc. Please help me with that by having good commit messages or filling in sections about your changes.
If you want to provide a longer description of the new feature you added please go to https://phab.enlightenment.org/w/efl_and_elementary_1_15_release_announcement/ and add your text there and I will try to integrate it into the final announcement.
- Work on a bigger feature in a branch and once its ready bring it over in one go to master in one of the merge windows.
- For bigger features please have some description for me to put into the release notes. If you also want to provide screenshots or a video be my guest.
- Have descriptive and in general good commit messages. I will read through them for the release notes and yell at you if they are bad.
- If you fix a bug from phab always put in the phab bug number
- If you have something big and disruptive please bring it in at the first merge window to allow enough time for testing and fixing
- We are also doing 1.14.x point releases during the 1.15 development cycle. Please keep in mind to backport them to the 1.14 stable branch. This is way easier for efl now as we had the first release with the merged tree now.